Special Bonus Leave FAQs


Common Questions New Special Bonus Leave FY 2018 Bonus Leave
What is the Kronos Code? BONSPL BONREG
Does it expire?

Yes - Only upon separation/retirement

Does it payout at separation?
No Yes
Can it be used before exhausting comp time?
Yes No
Can you donate this leave as voluntary shared leave?
No Yes
Does it carry over to the next year if not used? Yes Yes

Additional Questions & Answers

How much special bonus leave was granted?
Session Law 2017-57 (the 2017 Appropriations Act) granted a one-time special annual bonus leave of 24 hours (three days), effective July 1, 2017, to eligible State employees.

The amount of leave is pro-rated for eligible full-time employees who work less than 12 months and eligible part-time employees who work half-time or more.

Who is eligible for the special bonus leave?
Employees must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Full-time or part-time (half-time or more) "leave-earning employees" 
  • Employed (in pay status) with the State of North Carolina on July 1, 2017
  • Eligible to earn vacation leave on July 1, 2017
  • Have a permanent, probationary, or time-limited appointment type


  • Full-time employees who work less than 12 months (9-, 10-, or 11-month employees) shall receive a pro-rated amount of leave.
  • Permanent part-time employees (half-time or more) shall receive a pro-rated amount of the three days (24 hours).

What can I use the special bonus leave to cover?
The special bonus leave can be used for any purpose for which regular vacation leave is used, except it cannot be donated as voluntary shared leave.

When did the special bonus leave become eligible to be used?
Session Law 2017-57 granted this leave to be effective on July 1, 2017.

Can I change vacation/bonus requests already submitted/exhausted to reflect the special bonus leave instead?
Yes, but only vacation and bonus leave used beginning July 1, 2017 may be submitted for change. No change can be made to leave taken prior to July 1, 2017.

Retroactive adjustments will only be allowed for those submitted and approved in the University time-keeping and leave system (Kronos) by September 8, 2017.

Reference How to Modify Time Off for instructions on how to make an adjusted entry.

Can the special bonus leave be cashed out?
This leave has no cash value and is not eligible for cash-out. If not used prior to the time of separation or retirement, the special bonus leave cannot be paid out and is lost.

Is special bonus leave transferrable?
Yes, any balance of special bonus leave will be transferred with an employee who transfers (without a break in service) to another state agency position eligible for special bonus leave.

Can I use special bonus leave to make up time lost due to adverse weather?
Yes, if the adverse weather leave occurred on or after July 1, 2017. 

Does my supervisor have to approve my request to use the special bonus leave?
Yes, requests to use your special bonus leave are subject to your supervisor’s approval and must be entered in the University time-keeping and leave system (Kronos). 

If I do not see my question here, whom can I contact for more information?
You can contact Krissy Kaylor, benefits director, at kstaffo1@uncc.edu or 704-687-0649. 

Other Resources: