New Special Annual Leave Bonus “BONSAL” FAQs





What is the Kronos Code?




Does it expire?

Yes - Only upon separation/retirement

Yes - Only upon separation/retirement


Does it payout at separation?

No No Yes

Can it be used before exhausting comp time?

Yes Yes No

Can you donate this leave as voluntary shared leave?

No No Yes

Does it carry over to the next year if not used?


Yes Yes Yes
If used, does it reduce amount of vacation over the cap at the end of the calendar year that converts to sick leave? Yes (NEW)
See information below
No No

Information about how BONSAL leave will affect vacation and sick leave

Using BONSAL leave will reduce the amount of vacation leave over the 240-hour cap that converts to sick leave at the end of the calendar year. 


300 hours vacation balance as of Dec. 31
- 240 cap on vacation leave eligible for carry over 
 60 hours normally eligible for conversion to sick leave


60 hours normally eligible for conversion to sick leave
- 40 hours used for BONSAL 
 20 hours that will be converted to sick leave

Please note: Leave will be pro-rated based on FTE

Additional Questions and Answers

How much BONSAL was granted?
Session Law 2018-5 (the 2018 Appropriations Act) granted a one-time additional five days of special annual bonus leave effective July 1, 2018, to eligible State employees.

The amount of leave is pro-rated for eligible full time employees who work less than 12 months and eligible part-time employees who work half time or more.

Who is eligible for the BONSAL?
Employees must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Full-time or part-time (half time or more) "leave-earning employees" 
  • Employed (in pay status) with the State of North Carolina on July 1, 2018
  • Eligible to earn vacation leave on July 1, 2018
  • Have a permanent, probationary, or time-limited appointment type


  • Full-time employees who work less than 12 months (9-, 10-, or 11-month employees) shall receive a pro-rated amount of leave.
  • Permanent part-time employees (half time or more) shall receive a pro-rated amount of leave.

What can I use the BONSAL to cover?
The BONSAL can be used for any purpose for which regular vacation leave is used, except it cannot be donated as voluntary shared leave.

When did the BONSAL become eligible to be used?
Session Law 2018-5 granted this leave to be effective on July 1, 2018.

Can I change vacation/bonus requests (BONSPL or BONREG) already submitted/exhausted to reflect the BONSAL instead?
Yes, but only vacation and BONSPL or BONREG used beginning July 1, 2018 may be submitted for change. No change can be made to leave taken prior to July 1, 2018.

Retroactive adjustments will only be allowed for those submitted and approved in the University time keeping and leave system (Kronos) by September 14, 2018.

Reference How to Modify Time Off for instructions on how to make an adjusted entry.

Can the BONSAL leave be cashed out?
This leave has no cash value and is not eligible for cash-out. If not used prior to the time of separation or retirement, the BONSAL cannot be paid out and is lost.

Is BONSAL transferrable?
Yes, any balance of BONSAL will be transferred with an employee who transfers (without a break in service) to another state agency position eligible for this leave.

Can I use BONSAL to make up time lost due to adverse weather?
Yes, if the adverse weather leave occurred on or after July 1, 2018. 

Does my supervisor have to approve my request to use the BONSAL?
Yes, requests to use this leave are subject to your supervisor’s approval and must be entered in the University time keeping and leave system (Kronos). 

If I do not see my question here, whom can I contact for more information?
You can contact Krissy Kaylor, benefits director, at or 704-687-0649. 

Other Resources: