What verification documentation do I need to complete my I-9?

You must bring the original document(s) for identification and/or employment authorization.  The university cannot accept copied, faxed or e-mailed copies of documents.

Examples: If you have an unexpired US Passport or a Permanent Resident Card, you only need this document.  If you do not have either of these documents, you will need to bring bothan unexpired government issued photo ID (i.e. Student ID, Drivers License, or Military ID) and an employment authorization document (i.e. Social Security card* or Birth certificate).   For a complete list of Acceptable I-9 documents, please click here.

*Original social security card:  If you would like to submit your social security card and do not have the original, you may apply for a card and submit your receipt until your card arrives.  The Social Security Administration now has online services for residents of North Carolina available through its my Social Security portal at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.  If you are not a resident of NC, you can use this link for information on obtaining a new or replacement Social Security Card.

FAQ Category: