UNC Charlotte offers a unique, semester-long, leadership development program for mid- to senior-level managers (i.e., director and above) who seek to enhance their leadership capacity in their current role, or for higher leadership positions on campus. The Leadership Experience was designed in collaboration with University leaders to prepare current and next-generation leaders to guide UNC Charlotte to achieve strategic goals by solving real problems that impact the campus and our local community.
Scroll down to learn more.
What makes the Leadership Experience unique?
- Combines essential leadership competencies, such as ethical decision making, change management, and strategic thinking, with applied projects that can make a lasting impact.
- Actively engages the participant's manager for maximum support.
- Includes quantifiable metrics to support impact.
- Contains a variety of activities designed to integrate learning on the job.
- Project teams provide an opportunity to collaborate cross-functionally, apply learning, think strategically, network with senior leaders, and hone presentation skills. Each team selects a topic of relevance to the University and/or local community to research throughout the program. Teams collect data using surveys and interviews, benchmark against other institutions, formulate recommendations, and present their findings at the conclusion of the program to their managers, the Chancellor, and Cabinet. Past project topics include: motor fleet management, pedestrian safety, onboarding new faculty and staff, community engagement, and leveraging customer relationship management software on campus.
The Leadership Experience is a significant investment of time and effort. Selection is competitive. Participation is limited to 20 people. Graduation from the program is contingent upon 100% attendance and active participation.
There is a $500 non-refundable departmental fee to cover the cost of materials and assessments. The program runs for a full semester and requires a total time commitment of approximately 84 hours (or ten work-days) to include:
- Two full-day workshops a month (64 hours)
- 360-assessment and individual coaching session (2 hours)
- Team meetings and project work (approximately 12 hours)
- Monthly one-on-one meetings with your manager (4 hours)
- Final project team presentations (2 hours)
Click here to see a list of past graduates of the Leadership Experience.