Dated: June 13, 2017
Contact: Benefits Director, ext. 0649
Vacation and sick leave should be taken only after the leave has been accrued/earned. However, if warranted by individual circumstances, there is some flexibility to accommodate advance leave requests when an employee does not have (vacation/sick/bonus) leave or compensatory time to cover his/her time off request.
Supervisors may advance vacation and/or sick leave not to exceed the amount an employee can accrue/earn during the remainder of the current calendar year. Any excess vacation/sick leave taken shall be entered as leave without pay (LWOP) in the next pay period.
- Employees and supervisors have access through the University leave system to view leave balances and accrual rates for all employees who earn leave.
- The employee shall request advance leave only if he/she does not have (vacation/sick/bonus) leave or compensatory time to cover his/her time off request.
- The employee is responsible for entering his/her request in the University leave system.
- The supervisor is responsible for ensuring the employee’s accrual balances are sufficient to cover any advanced leave requested/approved during the remainder of the current calendar year.
- The supervisor is required to enter a comment to advance the specific number of leave hours for all approved requests.
- The supervisor is responsible for entering any excess vacation/sick leave taken as LWOP in the University leave system.