Category: Employee Relations / Compliance, Classification, Compensation, and Human Resources Information Systems
Contact: Director of Employee Relations and Compliance - ext. 0659 or Director of Classification, Compensation, and HRIS - ext. 0654
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) provides protection to qualified individuals with a disability from job discrimination if they can perform the essential functions of a job with or without reasonable accommodation.
In order to comply with the nondiscrimination in employment requirements of the ADA (Title 1), it is necessary to identify the essential functions of all jobs and to identify the physical requirements associated with performing the essential functions.
For vacant and newly established EPA Staff positions, compliance requires that an up-to-date job description with an attached check list for determining general physical requirements, physical activities, visual acuity, and working conditions be on file prior to recruiting/advertising to fill the position.
Therefore, department and office heads who have vacant or newly established EPA Staff positions (generally these are positions paid from EPA Non-Teaching salary lines - 1110) for which they plan to recruit/advertise are responsible for taking the following actions:
- Review the current Job Description (PD Form 15) to ensure the description of duties and responsibilities is up-to-date and accurate. Copies of Job Descriptions for EPA (Non-Teaching) Positions are maintained in the Human Resources Department by the Classification, Compensation, and HRIS unit, ext. 2010.
- If the Job Description is up-to-date, circle the numbered duties and responsibilities considered essential, complete a Physical Requirements Check List and forward to the Classification, Compensation, and HRIS unit.
- If the Job Description is not up-to-date and accurate, make the appropriate revisions, circle the numbered duties and responsibilities considered essential, and forward together with a completed Physical Requirements Check List to the Classification, Compensation, and HRIS unit.
- If a Job Description has not been previously completed, prepare a PD Form 15 with essential functions identified and forward together with a completed Physical Requirements Check List to the Classification, Compensation, and HRIS unit.
- Requests for Authorization to Recruit for EPA Staff Positions (AA11) may be submitted concurrently with submission of the Physical Requirements Check List and Job Description (if an initial or revised description is required).