Process Deadlines and Requirements for Hiring and Paying Temporary Employees
PIM number: 63
Dated: January 3, 2017
Category: Staff Employment, Payroll
To ensure newly appointed and continuing temporary employees, including student employees, are set up for payroll and paid on time, it is imperative that departments submit the proper Human Resources (HR) and Payroll forms before their start date as outlined below. Failure to do any of the below will likely result in delayed payment to your employee. Make every effort to communicate these deadlines and requirements to all those involved with managing temporary employees in your offices.
Note that these deadlines apply to all temporary employees required to use Banner Web Time Entry (WTE) to report time worked. This PIM does not apply to other student workers, e.g., graduate assistants, who do not use WTE.
Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF) Submission Deadlines
- Departments must fully process an EPAF before the start date of a student or temporary employee, and at least 7 business days prior to the end of the month, to ensure payment on the following month’s payroll.
- To ensure that your new employee can be paid, do not schedule them to start work until the EPAF is fully processed. You can tell an EPAF is fully processed by logging into the EPAF system to ensure the status is marked “completed.” Any other status (e.g., pending, returned for corrections, saved) indicates that the EPAF has not been approved by HR.
- If your EPAF is not processed within three business days of submission, follow up with the Student Employment Office (students), the Staff Employment Office (temporary staff), or Academic Affairs (temporary faculty).
Banner Web Time Entry (WTE) Access
- Your employee must have access to Banner WTE no later than five business days before the end of the month during which your employee has worked.
- The Payroll Office will email you once the employee is set up in WTE. You will then have access to review and approve their timesheets.
a. You cannot submit paper timesheets to the Payroll Office
3. If your employee is not able to log hours electronically, then they are not set up to be paid, and immediate, timely action on your part must be taken.
- These actions must be taken no later than five business days before the end of the month during which your employee has worked. Late actions may cause delayed payment.
- Positions processed after the cut-off date of five business days before the end of the month will not be guaranteed payment for that month.
- Paper time sheets WILL NOT be accepted when this deadline has been missed.
WTE Submission Deadlines
- Students and Temporary Staff hourly employees are required to submit their WTE timesheets by 11:00 p.m. on the second business day of the month.
- Approvers must approve WTE timesheets electronically by 9 a.m. on the fourth business day of the month. Not doing so will result in your employee's hours not being pulled into the monthly payroll.
WTE Reminder Emails
- Monthly system-generated reminders are sent out to both employees and approvers until timesheets are submitted and approved.
- In case of missed emails or spam, supervisors should create monthly calendar reminders as listed below.
- Last business day of each month: Remind employees to submit their electronic timesheets.
- 2nd reminder: Ensure you have received all electronic timesheets before the end of the second business day of each month (employees are running out of time at this point).
- 3rd reminder: Approve the timesheet(s) by no later than 9 a.m. on the fourth business day of each month.