Employment Process for Foreign Nationals

Employment of Foreign Nationals

The International Student/Scholar Office provides assistance to University hiring officials regarding the sponsorship of international employees for non-immigrant visas (H-1B, TN, O), business or visitor visas (B-1, B-2, and visa waivers), and/or immigration petitions (permanent residency). Additionally, this office maintains the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) – a database employed by the U.S. government to track the arrival, enrollment, and departures of international students, scholars, and their dependents (F-1, J-1, etc.).

The International Student/Scholar Office maintains fluency with all relevant US Citizenship and Immigrant Services (USCIS), US Department of State, US Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and US Department of Labor regulations and policies to serve as an invaluable resource for the University community to promote both understanding and compliance.

The International Student/Scholar Office is located in Room 202 in the College of Health and Human Services Building. For more information regarding all programs and services offered by this office, please visit the link below:

Students hired at the start of the Fall and Spring semester will attend an orientation through the International Student Scholar Office.  Please contact ISSO for dates, times and locations for these sessions. If you are hired outside of the orientation session period, please follow the steps outlined under 'Steps to Hire a Foreign National Employee'. How to Obtain a Social Security Number If you are new to the United States and need to apply for a Social Security number, this must be done within your first 90 days of hire.  Failure to apply for a social security number and presenting it to Human Resources may result in lost in employment. For students, a hold may be placed on your student account. New Faculty can take their employment agreement directly to the Social Security Administration to apply for your SSN.  You do not need an additional letter from Human Resources or the International Student Scholar office to apply. Directions to Social Security Administration

Additional Resources

The Tax Office advises international students and scholars on tax treaty benefits and tax withholding and reporting requirements as well as provides advice to the University community regarding international tax withholding and reporting requirements on payments made to the University’s population of international students and scholars.

The Tax Office does not have a receptionist, so in order to ensure that they are able to efficiently serve you, please make an appointment with: Rebecca Urquhart, Tax Accountant by emailing rmurquha@uncc.edu or calling 704-687-5742.