New Employee Forms

Due to current conditions, Human Resources will be accepting all necessary new hire paperwork via a secure Dropbox and you will need to schedule an appointment to provide your I-9 documents to complete Section 2 of the I-9. 

You will need to:

1. Start by completing your I-9 form electronically online:

Electronic I-9 Form 

If you do NOT have a social security number, click here.  You will receive a link to complete the I-9. normally within 2 business days.

2.  Complete all pages of the new hire packet based on your job type:  

Faculty & Staff Employee Forms - Visit the New Employees page and open the First Day Checklist for information on everything you should complete before your first day of work.  

Student Employee Forms


Foreign National Employees only:

After completing your Faculty/Staff or Student forms, download these additional forms to be completed and submitted to the Tax Office:  Faculty/Staff formsStudent forms

You must make an appointment with the Tax office to turn in these forms and complete your tax forms. Failure to meet with the Tax Office may result in incorrect taxes to be taken out of your paycheck. 


3.  Submit your completed new hire forms via dropbox here: Submit forms

Do not upload I-9 documents.


4.  Schedule an in-person appointment to present your I-9 verification documents here:  HR calendar 

If you miss your appointment time window, you will need to schedule a new appointment. 

Please review #5 in regard to the acceptable documents you will bring to your scheduled appointment.


5.  Bring your I-9 verification document(s) to Human Resources at your scheduled time. 

Please Note: Your original documents must be provided, we cannot accept copies or pictures of any documents. Please review the list of acceptable documents here(Acceptable documents).

Foreign Nationals (F-1 & J-1), you must bring your unexpired passport, I-94, and I-20 or DS2019


Once you have completed and uploaded the paperwork and provided Human Resources with your I-9 document(s):

You will be sent an electronic I-9 verification to the email address provided on the I-9 within 48 hours.  You will be able to forward it to your supervisor/department as verification that you have completed the new hire process.

If you have any issues uploading your paperwork to the dropbox, you can print the paperwork and submit it during your appointment.  Please contact if you have any issues uploading or if you have questions regarding the forms prior to submitting. 

Thank you for your patience during this time. 


Additional Resources:

Tax Withholding Calculator

Please note: Tax allowances will default to single/zero for US Citizens and Permanent Residences.   Should you wish to change your form W-4 and/or form NC-4 to something other than single with zero allowances, you can now do so online by following the FAQ located here


Notice About Social Security Cards

Please note that the University strongly recommends that each employee present his/her original Social Security card to assure accurate payroll tax and retirement system reporting. If possible, please bring your original Social Security card, or official proof of application, when you visit the Human Resources department for your initial employment processing. If you are unable to locate your card, you may apply for a duplicate card by visiting your local Social Security Administration. Use this link for information on obtaining a new or replacement Social Security Card.

New Online Services for NC residents:  The Social Security Administration expanded online services for residents of North Carolina available through it's my Social Security portal at North Carolina residents can use the portal for many replacement Social Security number (SSN) card requests. 

Please review our Statement of Purpose on why we request your social security number.


Tentative Nonconfirmation Notice

Note for Foreign Nationals -

If you are new and do not have a social security number, you will receive a letter from Human Resources/International Student Scholar offices to apply for a number with the Social Security Administration office.  Once you receive this letter, contact SSA to schedule an appointment.  Failure to apply for a social security number and present it to Human Resources within 90 days of the SSA offices reopening, will lead to termination of employment. New Faculty can take their employment agreement directly to the Social Security Administration to apply for your SSN.  You do not need an additional letter from Human Resources or the International Student Scholar office to apply.  Social Security Office Locator.